Total Pageviews

Thursday 25 October 2018

The Book of the Small Prophet Amos Chapter 6

 

Book of Small Prophets


Amos 


Chapter  


6

 

 

 

¹ Alas for those who are at ease in Zion, and for those who feel secure on Mount Samaria the notables of the first of the nations, to whom the house of Israel resorts.

 

 

 

(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verse 1) 

 

 

 

 Alas to those of us, even at times myself, who may feel that they are walking according to God's way and may be under the impression that their faith is complete and that their place in heaven is secure because we are familiar with God and His Word and maybe because we pray every day and attend to this or that particular prayer group.



Alas for us, even though we may feel in our comfort zones, You my God and Father are asking us to make leaps of faith in our life, to continue to grow in our faith, for because even if we may be of an age we are still infants where it concerns our faith. I pray that we become more aware of the need to grow in our life holistically including our faith and spiritual life Amen.



² Cross over to Calneh, and see: from there go to Hamath the great; then go down to Gath of the Philistines. Are you better than these kingdoms? Or is your territory greater than their territory?




(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verse 2) 




Oh God, my Father in a spirit of prayer I ask myself the same question. What have I given You more than others that I may live in Malta, where I can feel safe and secure and happy, even though the opportunities it offers cannot be compared to those of the USA, however I am still happy and grateful to live in Malta and to be called a Christian and a Catholic Amen.



³ O you that put far away the evil day, and bring near a reign of violence?




(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verse 3) 




Oh God my loving Father You are the only one who can press the reset button and bring an end to all the injustice taking place in the world and that will take place in the future. You have control over all things and over all situations. I pray that You bring an end to all suffering according to Your will so that we will be freed from the bondage of sin and evil will be no longer. Oh, what a day this would be my God and Father Amen.


⁴ Alas for those who lie on beds of ivory, and lounge on their couches, and eat lambs from the flock, and calves from the stall; ⁵ who sing idle songs to the sound of the harp, and like David improvise on instruments of music; ⁶ who drink wine from bowls, and anoint themselves with the finest oils, but are not grieved over the ruin of Joseph!




(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verses 4 to 6) 




Oh God, my Father, we can also end up being alienated from the realities and needs of those in our inner circles and even those who do not pertain to such circles. I pray for those in power so that they use it well in a sensible and sensitive way in order to achieve the best for their subjects Amen.



⁷ Therefore they shall now be the first to go into exile, and the revelry of the loungers shall pass away.



(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verse 7) 



Alas for alienation it is our ruin all things of the world will pass by but Your promises shall never remain passive Amen.



⁸ The Lord GOD has sworn by himself (says the LORD, the God of hosts): I abhor the pride of Jacob and hate his strongholds, and I will deliver up the city and all that is in it.



(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verse 8) 


Oh God my Father, You can swear as much as You want to but I cannot use Your name in vain, I love You so much. There have only been a few moments when I was pushed to the edge of my sanity and I ended up swearing by Your Holy Name, and for such moments I plead for Your forgiveness Amen.


⁹ If ten people remain in one house, they shall die. ¹⁰ And if a relative, one who burns the dead, shall take up the body to bring it out of the house, and shall say to someone in the innermost parts of the house. "Is anyone else with you?" the answer will come, "No." Then the relative shall say, "Hush! We must not mention the name of the LORD."




(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verses 9 to 10) 



Oh God, my Father You are a jealous God who never accepts to occupy the second place in our lives. You do not accept the ways of the world such as cremation for this goes against Your will Amen. I pray that You help me overcome the trials of life in order to obey You Amen.



¹¹ See, the LORD commands, and the great house shall be shattered to bits and the little house to pieces.




(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verse 11) 


Oh God, my Father as I have always believed and as found written in the Bible, all is under Your control and You control everything. Therefore I place my will under Your command and may Your will be done in all the circumstances of my life and not mine Amen.



¹³ Do horses run on rocks? Does one plough the sea with oxen? But you have turned justice into poison and the fruit of righteousness into wormwood-¹³ you who rejoice in Lo-debar," who say, "Have we not by our own strength taken Karnaim for ourselves?" ¹⁴ Indeed, I am raising up against you a nation. O house of Israel, says the LORD, the God of hosts, and they shall oppress you from Lebo-hamath to the Wadi Arabah. 




(The Book of Small Prophets Chapter 6 verses 13 to 14) 


Oh, brothers and sisters, we have removed God from the core of our lives and we are trying to take full control. We have become foolish enough to claim ourselves almost to be God of our lives. We are depending more on ourselves and our means than on You my God and Father. In doing so we are making a mess of our lives and those of others. I pray that You take control, my God and Father Amen.



Oh God, my Father, I would like to end this sixth chapter of the book of the small prophet Amos with the following prayer:-


Oh God my Father shake us out of our state of alienation. Show us the holy road to our salvation. Turn us away from our sinful ways. Give us your light for we are blind. Amen. Thank You Jesus.


 




 

No comments: